Making your quality control of hydraulic and lube oils more efficient
Combining titration and Vis-Near-Infrared Spectroscopy for higher sample throughput and faster results
Monitoring the quality of hydraulic and/or lube oils is critical to prevent premature wear of any kind of machinery. In this session we will look at this topic from a new perspective focusing on the combination of titration (potentiometric, thermometric, coulometric Karl Fischer titration) and Vis-Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (Vis-NIRS).
Combining titration (highly sensitive, specific, a widely used primary method) with Vis-NIRS (fast, non-destructive, results for multiple parameters at once) can make your oil condition monitoring and/or lubricant analysis much more efficient, especially, if your laboratory has to analyze large sample series every day.
Attending this session, you will learn and understand:
- The specific advantages of each method (titration and Vis-NIR-Spectroscopy)
- How and when to use these methods to measure critical chemical and physical parameters in lube and hydraulic oils
- What thermometric titration is and how it helps to improve robustness of serial acid number testing
- How to automate measurements of large sample series to increase efficiency and reproducibility
- How Vis-NIRS for lubricant analysis complies with ASTM guidelines and can save costs and time.
Watch this session
This is a free OnDemand session
Nicolas Rühl, PhD (Metrohm AG)
Dr. Nicolas Rühl is working in the Competence Center Spectroscopy since 2015. In this time, he has been in charge of developing the near-infrared (NIR) spectroscopy business at Metrohm. Nicolas has a Master in Business Administration and received his PhD in physical chemistry on single-molecule spectroscopy using Vis-NIR and Raman spectroscopy technologies.
Robert Tobler (Metrohm AG)
Robert Tobler studied chemistry at the Zurich University of Applied Science in Wädenswil, Switzerland. He joined Metrohm in 2015 as an application specialist titration. Since 2018 he has also been involved in stability measurement.
In This Edition Buyers' Guide listings - A Comprehensive Bibliography of Who’s Who in the Petrochemical, Hydrocarbon and Oil related industries Fuel for Thought - First well decommiss...
View all digital editions
Feb 06 2023 Houston, TX, USA
Feb 13 2023 Bahrain
Feb 13 2023 Cairo, Egypt
Feb 14 2023 Tampa, FL, USA
Feb 14 2023 Lagos, Nigeria