New GC Image Feature: Side-by-Side Comparison
Dec 12 2018 Read 370 Times
A new version of the GC Image software package released this year, GC Image v2.8, advances software capability and user-friendliness with improvements and new features. An example of newly-added functionality is the Compare Images - Side-by-Side tool. This new comparison interface displays two chromatograms next to each other for easy assessment of similarities and differences in the 2D patterns and allows interactive review of blob matching between the two images. (figure 1*)
Brief overview of added possibilities
The improved Compare Images tool now gives a wider selection of comparison modes. Upon loading the reference image, this is now automatically displayed next to the current image. The user can still create differential images (difference, flicker, etc.) like in the previous software versions, and in addition a transparent overlay of the two images, to show the smallest pixel by pixel differences.
In addition to these graphic options, the side-by-side functionality allows peak-based comparison using both chromatographic and spectral information. Initially each chromatogram is processed individually to detect, identify, and quantify blobs. User-identified peaks are used as alignment markers to match all blobs in the two images. The side-by-side window allows reviewing the chromatograms, enables comprehensive peak matching and automates difference detection.
A set of tables provides quantitative comparison statistics:
- The Matched Markers Tab reports the marker blobs used to determine the alignment. (figure 2*)
- The Blobs Tab shows blob tables along with properties and matching scores. A link is shown between the selected matched blobs in the two images to signify correlation. A colourisation system gives an overview of the blob status: white blobs are matched bi-directionally, orange indicates a match with conflicting identification and red unmatched blobs unique for one image
- The Spectra Tab displays side-by-side the spectra for any selected blobs of the two images. (figure 3*)
- The new side-by-side comparison tool makes samples comparison easier and more effective.
- Capability is extended from comparative visualisation to characterisation down to individual blobs.
- The user can perform direct MS comparison for peaks of interest.
- The automatic, colour-based classification helps to identify recurring peaks and selective markers.
Want to know more about GC Image or the latest version? Click here.
Author application note: Daniela Peroni, JSB© 2018
Do you like or dislike what you have read? Why not post a comment to tell others / the manufacturer and our Editor what you think. To leave comments please complete the form below. Providing the content is approved, your comment will be on screen in less than 24 hours. Leaving comments on product information and articles can assist with future editorial and article content. Post questions, thoughts or simply whether you like the content.
In This Edition Analytical Instrumentation - Range of viscometers for oils and fuels - Tackling viscosity measurement at refineries - Krebs stormer digital viscometer Fuel For Thought...
View all digital editions
Jun 18 2019 London, UK
Jun 18 2019 St John's, Newfoundland
Jun 18 2019 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Jun 18 2019 Beijing, China
Jun 19 2019 Houston, Tx, USA