Quick, safe and easy alternative distillation method included in ASTM standards for diesel and jet fuels
Jun 14 2021
ASTM have added Grabner Instruments’ mini method of distillation in addition to their established D86 distillation test method. This has enabled refineries, as well as the automotive and aviation sectors, to benefit from a reduction in measurement time and waste, while improving laboratory safety and precision.
In 2017 ASTM revised their D7344, which Grabner had designed 10 years earlier. Thanks to an extensive inter-laboratory study, it was established that the ASTM D7344 was equally or more precise than the long-established D86 method; therefore, the ASTM D02 committee accepted Grabner Instruments’ distillation method as an alternative for ASTM D975 for diesel and ASTM D1655 for jet fuel.
The updated version offers more than just better repeatability and duplicability. The new ASTM D7344 needs just 6 mL of sample to enable a truly reliable atmospheric distillation measurement. Adding the Grabner MINDIS ADXpert distillation unit, with its automated filling and dosing features, to the system enables a speedier distillation measurement time of usually less than 30 minutes. This analyser is portable and, with its small sample requirements and sealed distillation cycle, there is no danger of fire and no need for fire extinguishers to be on hand.
This system offers:
- Conformity to ASTM D86, ASTM D850, ISO 3405, IP 123, IP 195; Groups: 0 to 4
- The unique capability to operate according to ASTM D7344’s small scale distillation standard
- Automated measurement of unknown samples, with no need of prior knowledge about the distillation group
- New biodiesel method
- True atmospheric distillation measurements
- Dry point detection
- Automated temperature controlled (Peltier) sample introduction to avoid manual sample handling errors
- Disposable and economic metal sample cups
- User dialogue ensures straight-forward operation and leads the operator through the handling and calibration procedures
- Quick and easy operation enhanced by an automatic cleaning system
Many labs servicing the petrochemical, mining and aviation sectors benefit hugely from Grabner’s D7344 distillation analysers. Samples that have previously been difficult to distil using the D86 method, are made so much easier thanks to the unit’s automatic heater regulator. According to a very satisfied customer at Plains All American Pipeline, “It has proven its performance and reliability in our lab. Easy to use with automated sample handling, low maintenance costs, using only little space on our lab bench. My staff loves the MINIDIS”
In This Edition Fuel For Thought - What presentations will be given at the PEFTEC conference? - European oil majors near pre-pandemic income levels despite weakened revenues - Afriso opens...
View all digital editions
Aug 02 2021 Virtual event
Aug 16 2021 Houston, Tx, USA & Online
Aug 18 2021 Beijing, China
Aug 22 2021 Atlanta, GA, USA & Virtual
Aug 31 2021 Online event